Taking the Journey to An App Centric World
One of the tenets of an Adaptive Technology Model is flexibility. Hybrid Cloud Services – the use of a blend of cloud-based technologies, ease the transition from on-premise and legacy systems to cloud-based apps served by SaaS in a controlled manner.
A hybrid model will help transport your organisation to your ultimate destination; a full app driven environment. One of the benefits of a hybrid cloud is that it is the gateway to virtually limitless options. It facilitates greater choice and empowers you to select the right apps for your company, at a time that suits you.
Of course today’s start-ups are not restricted by legacy, on-premise systems. They are already fully cloud enabled and have no need of hybrid cloud services. However, the reality for most established businesses is that they are on the journey towards the new app economy and have yet to fully exploit its advantages.
Benefits of the hybrid cloud include:
- Access to the newest technological innovations, which are frequently updated
- Growth and performance gains
- Slicker employee experiences
- Scalability; services that expand with your needs
- Cost benefits with the inclusion of other services, e.g. the growing list of applications available within an Office 365 SKU
- A more elastic financial model – a lower up-front investment, spreading the cost by moving from CAPEX to OPEX
- Integrated security and disaster recovery in some instances
- Reduced management for your IT team, freeing them to focus on improvements
- The gradual realisation of a common, interconnected data model, simplifying reporting
The route to an Adaptive Technology Model via hybrid cloud is within reach today, but it’s worth setting out the key considerations before fixing your coordinates. Don’t risk a big bang approach – this road is best taken with small steps. Think about:
- All the constituent parts of your network
- Design – a strategy for what you want to achieve
- Supportability – do your people have the requisite skills to assist the move to a hybrid cloud model?
- Compatibility with existing legacy systems – how will they be supported
- Connectivity – bandwidth is critical. If you are moving your service to a cloud environment, you must be able to access it in a predictable, stable way. This point is worth emphasising as nothing will frustrate your users more than no or slow access
- Data integrity and security
- Do you need to engage external expertise, such as IT Lab and our partners?
- How the financing will work; we’ve mentioned a more flexible financial model, but your organisation should be clear and happy with this change
- Compliance – does the service meet your regulatory obligations and in-house policies
Many cloud services come with a raft of different security and data integrity technologies – far more than you could ever dream of on-premise. However, not all cloud services are equal. Make no assumptions and check the SLA carefully. For example, we’ve helped clients who assumed disaster recovery and back up were included, when in fact they were not.
You are on a journey to the app world. Our Adaptive Technology Model is a framework that can help you navigate the myriad requirements businesses need to consider. The new world is integrated, scalable, flexible and simple for your users to operate, just how IT should be.
Click here to explore our Adaptive Technology Model Hub and discover other rich resources.